Twin Cities Victory Riders  

Go Back   Twin Cities Victory Riders > TCVR Main Forums > Tech Tips & Questions

Tech Tips & Questions What works and don't work with the mechanical workings of your cycles.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Mark (MN)

yet another oil ?

Me again,

As i stated before I bought me a 07 JP w\ 650 or so miles on it. ? is the best I can figure out by talking to the dealership that sold the bike to the original owner is that it may very well have the original oil in it. I bought it from a cycle shop in TX, not from a Vic dealer. Here's the ?. Should I do anything different such as an additive or anything when i get home @ Thanksgiving before changing the oil?.My plans were to ride it, get it good n hot ,and change oil. Any recommendations would be greatly apreciated. Also... Vic oil or Amsoil... I just had to do it
Thanks all,

Mark
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Richard (MN)

yet another oil ?

Hey Mark congratz on the new Vic. I would check with a Victory dealer & see if they have any service records for your machine listed on record. The 500 mile check is very important in my view if it is not on record I would have it done or do it yourself all the items to check are listed in the owners manual.
I don't think a few miles will make a big diff on the 500 mile check. I bought mine on a Saturday had 800 miles on it by Monday & had the 500 mile check done at that time.
Ether way an oil change is recommended before winter storage so go ahead & with your plan. As for oil I use Vic oil.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Mark (MN)

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I did check with the dealer it was bought from and there has been only a battery warranteed in dec of 07. Apparently the dude rode this bike the first 600 mile then let er sit. I checked with a dealer and asked him about the 500 mile checkup and he pretty much told me that it's something I could do myself since I know how to turn a wrench.? No valves to set, just oil change, check your all your nuts and bolts and belt tension which he also said very rarely needs adjustment anyway. So i'm not sure what I'll do. I know the oil will be changed pronto and I'll do some reading in my sevice manual when i get it. Thanks again fo rthe reply.

Mark
Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Roger (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkler View Post
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I did check with the dealer it was bought from and there has been only a battery warranteed in dec of 07. Apparently the dude rode this bike the first 600 mile then let er sit. I checked with a dealer and asked him about the 500 mile checkup and he pretty much told me that it's something I could do myself since I know how to turn a wrench.? No valves to set, just oil change, check your all your nuts and bolts and belt tension which he also said very rarely needs adjustment anyway. So i'm not sure what I'll do. I know the oil will be changed pronto and I'll do some reading in my sevice manual when i get it. Thanks again fo rthe reply.

Mark
Mark:
If you are done riding it this season then leave the oil in there. The condensation the engine will get through the winter will mix with the old oil. Then this spring FIRST THING get the oil hot and change it then..Filter, oil, the works. Use only Vic oil(in my humble opinion and many others on this site). Any other mechanical questions give one of the dealers around here a call. They are happy to help with your questions.
Welcome to the Victory family! Look forward to riding with you this spring!

Rog